Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Birth of a Church

I've only witnessed 2 births until today. Today makes 3. They never go exactly how you think they will, there's a lot of nervous energy surrounding the event, and the end result is a little messy at first - but then you look at it and think, "Yes, this is exactly what it should look like. And it's beautiful."

That's how today went. The first service of Faith Community Church started at about 4:30 pm, after some time to practice worship and set up the cafe like we wanted. It is a cafe, you know, so it turned out there were other people there - talking - as we started. That was unexpected, but you just roll with it and keep going.

We had a great time of worship, let by Dorothy, Elizabeth, and Ondra - "Here I am to Worship," "Arise, My Soul," and "God of Wonders." Dorothy was rockin' on the egg shaker, and Ondra - well, his instrumental during the offering was the most worship-ful part of the service and something I won't forget.

My first sermon in over 2 years was on, what else, the church. Peter's profession of Christ in Matthew 16 - I felt like it was the best place to start with a church called Faith Community. After it was over, one more song and the benediction. It felt very... comfortable, and we were introduced to this new baby, this new body of Christ, full of hopes and dreams and anxieties.

Back home we had a team celebration dinner, complete with Snickers pie. Cigars? No. But it was a very joyous occasion and a time to thank God for bringing us to this point in Prague, and our lives. Thanks for your prayers. Hopefully more pictures will be added soon!

5 comments:

Jake said...

Yay FCC! Wish we were there!

J&M

Anna said...

God is so good! I am so happy at all that he is doing there....and I love the way you all set it up.

Brad & Stacey said...

We're excited with you. See you soon!

Brad & Stacey Hunter

Christa said...

Congrats!! Its so exciting, I am glad it went well!

Liz said...

I'm so excited! We prayed for ya'll at Christ Central. Can't wait to hear more stories...